The Audubon Center at Riverlands is open 7 days a week from 8 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The Riverlands Migratory Birds Sanctuary is open 7 days a week from sunrise to sunset.
Visitors to The Audubon Center at Riverlands will enjoy:
Inside the Center
- Welcoming and knowledgeable Audubon staff and volunteers
- Engaging exhibits on birds, other wildlife and river ecology
- A panoramic view of Ellis Bay, the Mississippi River and historic downtown Alton
- Premium spotting scopes for close-up views of eagles, swans, herons, egrets and other waterfowl visiting Ellis Bay
- A climate controlled setting for viewing wintering Bald Eagles and Trumpeter Swans
- Movies including the 12-minute “Spectacle of Birds”
- Special exhibits and activities throughout the year including Eagle Days
- Public restrooms
Outside the Center
- 8.5 miles of trails spanning 3,700 acres of the Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary for viewing birds and other wildlife, hiking, photography, walking your dog, enjoying the outdoors and more!
- Ellis Island on the Mississippi River with parking access and trail
- Ellis Bay for kayaking, paddle boarding, canoeing and fishing
- Picnic areas
- An Avian Observatory designed by Washington University School of Architecture specifically for intimate views of water birds and other wildlife on Heron Pond
- A scenic overlook Ellis Bay
- A beautiful view of the Mississippi River from our wrap-around deck set with rocking chairs made from recycled materials
- Native plant garden